This week’s focus point…Thunder and Lightning
Captain Jack hates thunder. Hates it with a purple passion. In fact, he believes it’s his duty to furiously bark at the thunder, in some attempt to make it suddenly stop. The thunder doesn’t care, and keeps on rolling.
Thunder is actually the sound caused by lightning. It’s the result of that bolt producing a rapid expansion of air leading to a similar reaction like a sonic boom. Without getting overly scientific, you can’t have thunder without lightning. I guess that means that Captain Jack has a bone to pick with lightning, too.
Are you creating thunder in your own career?
Just like thunder can’t be created without an opening electrostatic discharge commonly referred to as lightning, your career will either be resounding or indistinct based on the electricity you generate. I’ve found that far too many people fear causing lightning in their lives. It’s usually based around fear – fear of failure, fear of rejection, even fear of success. What would happen if you had no fear to manifest your own jolts of lightning? What if you planned and took action on risks and opportunities to see if you could eventually make some noise?
Bottom line – no lightning, no thunder up in the skies. For you, no electricity (passion and boldness), no noise (maximized success and significance of helping others) in your career. Life’s too short not to enjoy the majesty of a thunderstorm (although Jack might disagree). It’s also too short not to take all your talents and passions and initiate your own storm and make some noise.
© 2015 Toro Consulting Inc. All Rights Reserved
You are the “brand.” Even if you work for a larger firm or company, or are a sales professional for a company you don’t own, you are still the desired “brand.” The key question is, “How do I advance the brand of me?”
Here are 3 things that you can immediately do…
1. Create gobs of intellectual property. Be ubiquitous. Publish, speak, blog, utilize social media, and produce videos.
2. Talk to not only your desired prospective clients, but to those people that can refer you to them. You can most easily get in front of person that can use your services when they are referred to you.
3. Be consistent in the distribution of your intellectual property. Blog regularly; send newsletters consistently; network with the right people all the time so they know your name.
It’s really just like one of my favorite shows from the 1980s, Cheers…where everybody knows your name.
Who knows your name? What to do they think of you when you’re not in the room? Are you clear and concise on your value? Are you “tight” on your publishing and speaking?
If you want to watch the 60-minute broadcast for free, all you have to do is register. You will be subscribed to the next 2 broadcasts as well. Click here to register and get the recording, so you can hear everything we talked about!
© 2015 Toro Consulting Inc. and Accelera Consulting Group. All Rights Reserved
Join Master Mentors Betsy Jordyn and Dan Weedin to help you find success and significance in your consulting practice. This digital experience is free and will help you to quickly find solutions to your most important questions and issues for your business.
This is a 3-part video broadcast that is offered for free and will also be recorded for your future use. The only thing you have to do is register. All broadcasts start at 9:00 am Pacific / 3:00 pm Eastern. Registrants will be emailed the recording. You can watch Betsy and Dan discuss and debate topics that are important to you and your career, ask questions that they will respond to, and walk away with valuable tools, techniques, and best practices that you can implement immediately.
April 30, 2015 – The ROI of YOU – Benefits of a Clear Consultant Brand
In this show, we will discuss:
- What is a brand in general and why companies brand themselves?
- Why consultants should brand themselves?
- What are the critical success factors of a strong consultant brand? How you know it is working?
- Why the consultant themselves are the core of the brand?
May 28, 2015 – Brand Building: Uncovering your Unique Brand Promise
In this show, we will discuss:
- How do discover your unique brand?
- How to describe your brand to others in a way that helps them either know if they are a prospect OR know someone who is?
- How do differentiate the value you create in comparison to other consultants?
- How to use your brand to address the real competitive threat to consultants, which is the client doing the work themselves!
July 24, 2015 – Brand Activation: Using Your Brand to Draw in and Win Business
In this show, we will discuss:
- How to ensure all ways a client forms an impression is aligned to your brand
- Manifesting your brand in powerful products and services
- Using content marketing as a means to use your brand to draw in business
- How a powerful and clear brand translates to increased compensation
Register for all three events – CLICK HERE.
What do you have to lose? This free series will help all consultants, coaches, speakers, and writers to maximize their talents and offer tremendous value to their clients. By doing that, your business will grow exponentially.
Betsy and Dan are Master Mentors in the global consulting community of Alan Weiss. Alan is the “Rock Star of Consulting” and the preeminent authority on solo practitioner consulting. Alan has personally trained Betsy and Dan to help consultants like you reach your maximum potential and value to clients.
Throughout her career, growth-oriented senior leaders and entrepreneurs have considered Betsy the ultimate think partner – she is known for her ability to draw out the hidden potential in leaders and organizations and catalyze strengths for maximum performance. Betsy’s expertise in leadership, strategy, organization redesign, inter-departmental coordination, and executive team development has helped numerous organizations create environments where there is alignment between desired and actualized results.
Betsy founded Accelera Consulting Group in 2006 after working as an internal consultant for Walt Disney World. In that role, Betsy was instrumental in the success of significant business growth projects, such as a total redefinition the guest/cast experience worldwide and a refocus of Disney Animal Kingdom towards becoming a more traditional Disney theme park and “not a zoo.” The experience and wisdom she gained from initiating and managing change in such a large and diverse organization with multiple business units and objectives ensures that Betsy’s recommendations are tailored, focused, practical, and implementable.
As an independent consultant, Betsy has helped accelerate results of numerous organizations in a variety of industries including nonprofits, local government, manufacturing, supply chain and publishing. As a coach and mentor, Betsy has improved the effectiveness and personal satisfaction of dozens of some of the most amazing leaders and entrepreneurs.
Dan founded Toro Consulting, Inc. in 2005 to help organizations dramatically improve resiliency and business continuation, while maximizing their ability to grow and thrive. Since 2010, he has been a Master Mentor for Alan Weiss and has helped countless business leaders and professionals to grow their skills, boost their revenue, and improve life balance. Dan has the unique ability to translate his success in the insurance industry, public speaking, non-profit world, and athletic coaching into applicable and transferable principles that dramatically improve the effectiveness of those he consults, teaches, and mentors. He is a 2009 graduate of the Million Dollar Consulting College™. Dan has authored one book for insurance professionals titled, Insuring Success (Global Professional Publishing 2014). His next book, Unleashed Leadership (Kitsap Publishing 2015) is set to be released in September. He is a 2012 inductee into the Million Dollar Consulting™ Hall of Fame.
© 2015 Accelera Consulting and Toro Consulting, Inc. All Rights Reserved
The really foolish thing however, is to continually fool yourself in your business and career. The reality is that many of us simply lie to ourselves about a lot of different things until we actually believe our foolishness to be true.
Here is my Top 10 Tomfoolery List of things you say to yourself or activities and behaviors you do or don’t do (in no particular order):
- You say, “I’m not good enough to (fill in the blanks)…”
- You don’t take charge of your own professional growth and development. Example – you won’t attend or join something because your company won’t foot the bill. Pay for it yourself. The investment is in you!
- You continually listen to unsolicited advice and make decisions based on them.
- You tell yourself, “I don’t have time to market my business.” Of course you have time…you just haven’t made it a priority.
- You convince yourself that you don’t have time to take care of your health and fitness. See above in the “invest in yourself” and “priority” bullet points.
- You avoid being bold because of fear of failure, rejection, or being “found out.”
- You tell yourself, “That problem will just go away if I don’t do anything…”
- You start your day groaning instead of grinning. This is an intentional act on your part.
- You fool yourself into thinking work isn’t supposed to be fun.
- You say to yourself, “I’m too busy to try anything new or make changes. I will wait until the right time…” There is no right time.
Stop fooling yourself and hand yourself out some tough love. Foolish thinking like what I described above doesn’t lad you to your hopes and dreams. It keeps you from unleashing your talent and skills. And, it affects every relationship – both personal and professional – that you have. Don’t allow the joke to be on you.
And that’s no fooling….
© 2015 Dan Weedin. All Rights Reserved
Here is My Top 10 Tips to Finding the Right Coach or Mentor for You:
- Read Testimonials and Call on References. People aren’t coerced into giving a good and honest testimonial. Watch video and read written testimonials and stay alert for key phrases that hint at results.
- Referrals. You use referrals to buy cars, homes, and hire insurance and financial brokers. You should utilize the knowledge within your community to find good coaches and mentors, too. You may be surprised as to how many of your colleagues, peers, and friends use coaching. They may be able to quickly point you in the right direction.
- Talk. Call the prospective coach. See how quickly they return your call. Have a conversation rather than an email exchange. This is not about prying free advice out of them. It’s about determining your ability to communicate effectively. Rapport is important, but results are more important. Discern what you can gain in both categories the old-fashioned way…. by talking!
- Ask Questions. Ask about fees, expectations, accessibility, and anything else that is important to you. Candor, trust, and transparency are crucial for a successful engagement.
- Fees. Lower is NOT better. You’re not buying bananas at the grocery store. You’re investing in your future. Coaches that charge what you might consider a high fee get big returns on investment. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t still be in business. If they charge by the hour, watch out! Don’t trade time for money in this case. You don’t want to ever be put in a position where you are worried about the meter running. Know your investment up front. The best coaches in the business charge high fees, but on a set and agreed to amount.
- Accessibility. You’ve hired a coach or mentor to have access to them. Make sure they are giving it to you. I return all calls and text messages within 90 minutes, and reply to all emails within 24 hours. These are my guidelines given to clients. Any coach you are working with will have some similar guidelines to accessibility. You may need answers fast. Make sure they are there for you.
- Been There, Done That. You want to choose someone who has done what you want to do. If you want to have someone coaching you on speaking, then they need to be a professional speaker that gets paid and speaks all over the world (or at least country). If you hire someone to help you publish a book, they need to have commercially published one themselves. If you’re starting a consulting practice, hire someone that has excelled in his or her consulting profession.
- Watch & Read. After referrals, speaking and publishing attract the most new clients to me. It would seem logical to believe that you can find good coaches and mentors by watching them speak and reading their work. Attend their speeches, seminars, and workshops. Go with an open mind ready to learn. Read their work in trade journals, publications, and online. I often receive calls from interested parties based on an article or column I wrote for a trade publication. You should feel confident in speaking to experts that make the effort to give value to you though their work.
- Search. Google was actually the way I found my first mentor. I performed a search for insurance consultants and viola, Scott Simmond’s name popped up. Scott is in Maine and I am in Washington State. Regardless, I called him, we talked, and I made the decision within about 10 minutes to hire him.
- Cyber Stalk. Once you’ve found them and talked to them, do a little research online. Check out their websites for resources and examples of work. Read the testimonials and list of clients. Does their web site look professional or built by the neighborhood kid in their basement? Look at social media platforms, not for ratings, bit for presence. Most specifically, find them in Linked in and Twitter and read what they post.
Don’t leave the very vital task of choosing a coach or mentor to chance. Do some research first and make an educated decision. The good coaches make it easy for you. And remember, just like wine and dress clothes, you most often get what you pay for.
© 2015 Dan Weedin. All Rights Reserved
I’m thrilled and honored to be today’s guest columnist on Alan Weiss’s blog, Alan’s Blog. The blog is geared to consultants, speakers, authors, and entrepreneurs. Today’s blog article is about how in your own business and career (just like in nature) that within decay, there is rebirth.
Please read and share your comments here on my blog…or on his!
© 2015 Dan Weedin. All Rights Reserved
While I wasn’t “official” until August of that year, I’m starting a year-long celebration today by introducing several new professional development opportunities for you. As the year moves on, I’m committed to helping all of you advance your careers and businesses, and assure success, sustainability, and significance. Keep an eye out for new opportunities, my re-designed web site, and…
As a precursor to these new programs, I am proud to announce that I’ve entered into a commercial publishing agreement with Kitsap Publishing for my new book Unleashed Leadership. The book is scheduled to be released in September. Over the next few weeks, you will begin to see additional information, including the book’s cover, excerpts, and pre-release purchase opportunities.
Finally thanks to all of you for your part in my 10 years as Toro Consulting, Inc. To my clients, my business partners and colleagues, and everyone that reads my work or watches me speak….I am grateful.
Unleashed Speaking – If speaking is an integral art of your business, then you’d better assure that you’re really good at it. In fact, being an impressive speaker just may be the most important skill you develop. Speaking to influence requires both art and science. This new program will help speakers become more confident, more competent, more valuable, and more influential. I’ve already added my first participant and it hasn’t even gone live until now! What are you waiting for? Website
The Go to Guy – If you’re a business owner, entrepreneur, or executive, it’s likely that you often feel like a “lone wolf” when making critical decisions for your business. Stop breathing in your own exhaust. I can help you with strategy, decision-making, venting, language, and accountability. This is a unique and exclusive program that is limited to a small number of business leaders. Find out how you can be one of them. Website
Insuring Success Weekly Video Series – Insurance Professionals! Boost your business and career rapidly in only 5 minutes a week. This private weekly video series will help you increase revenue, uncover valuable time, help you retain more clients, and help you attain balance your life. Starts June 2, but early discounts apply. Website
Insuring Success Rock Star Producer Academy – Insurance Agency Owners and Producers! This is a one-of-a-kind program personally developed by me to help insurance producers and sales professionals improve your success rate in business and life. It’s a day and half full of everything you need to arm yourself to create success and build your book of business. October 15-16 in Seattle. Space is limited to 15 people and I’m already getting inquiries. Register today. Website
The Weedin Assurance Program – I’ve created a Private Insurance Consulting program to offer a unique and value-driven service for select clients only. You will not only be insured, but also assured that you are adequately protecting all you’ve worked so hard to attain and that it’s being done at the most competitive premium available. Space is limited to only a few and there are already clients in it. Learn more – Website